top of page

How to claim a Self-assessment refund

If you have paid too much tax, you will be able to get a refund from HMRC. The mechanics for obtaining your refund depending on how the overpayment arose. Claims must be made within four years from the end of the tax year to which the refund relates.

Self-assessment overpayment

If you pay tax under a self-assessment tax return, you may be due a refund if your income has fallen and the payments that you made on account are more than your actual tax liability for the tax year.

You can claim a refund when you complete your tax return. You will need to complete the ‘If you have paid too much tax’ section of the return. If you want the refund to go to you, you will need to provide details of your bank or building society account into which you want the refund to be made. Taxpayers without a bank or building society account can opt for a cheque to be sent to them or to a nominee whose details must be provided on the return. Where tax was originally paid by card, HMRC will attempt to pay the refund back to that card before making the payment to a bank or building society account.

HMRC ask taxpayers to allow four weeks to receive the payment before contacting them.

You can also claim a refund by signing into your self-assessment account online and selecting the ‘request a repayment’ option. Where a claim has been made in the tax return, it is not necessary to claim online.

If you have outstanding tax liabilities, any overpayment will first be set against these liabilities before a refund is made.


HMRC will pay interest on the overpaid tax from the date of payment to the date of refund. The rate is set at the base rate of less than 1% (subject to a minimum rate of 0.5%). From 21 February 2023, the repayment interest rate is 3%.

Beware of refund scams

Fraudsters may send scam texts or emails that promise tax rebates to trick people into providing their bank details. HMRC does not contact taxpayers by text or email to advise them that they are due a refund. If you think you are due a refund, check either your personal tax account or the app, and where one is due, claim through the correct channels.

For more go to the website


bottom of page